IPAF Scissor & Boom is an internationally recognised course which instructs the candidates to prepare and safely operate Mobile Vertical (3a) such as scissor lifts and vertical personnel platforms and the Mobile Boom (3b) self-propelled booms. IPAF is a UK based non-profit organisation dedicated to promoting the safe and effective use of Mobile Elevating Working Platforms (MEWPs) and Learn Construction is authorised to provide this course.
- Awareness of different types of MEWPs
- Awareness of the relevant Health & Safety regulations and accident prevention and control
- Route planning before operating the MEWP
- Safely operate MEWPs and limitations of use
- Manoeuvring the MEWP as required and drive the machine proficiently and safely
- Able to correctly position and carry out the required tasks correctly and properly Basic operational practice
- Selection and use of fall arrest equipment
- License renewal and logbooks
- IPAF training course evaluation
IPAF Scissor & Boom – 3a & 3b dual course is beneficial for anyone responsible for the safe use of powered access platforms, scissor lifts, mobile vertical lifts, self-propelled telescopic booms, articulating booms or mobile booms.
No formal training or experience is necessary, but it would be beneficial if learners have a basic understanding of working at height regulations and health and safety at work. Also, the candidate needs to be 16 years and above as well as medically fit to operate the machinery.
Candidates are required to bring appropriate PPE with them such as helmet, safety harness, steel-capped boots, high visibility vest and safety gloves.
At the end of the IPAF theory session, the learner will need to take a short test, which if they pass will allow them to take practical session. Candidates who successfully pass both theory and practical tests will receive a 3a & 3b IPAF PAL Card valid for 5 years.